So, you have been thinking about listing your home for sale.
Maybe now. Maybe a year from now.
I know that it can be a tough decision because of all the blood, sweat, tears and memories that you have experienced there.
However, if you are planning to sell, here are some tips to help you mentally prepare yourself for the process of selling and moving.
- Work with a real estate agent and keep track of the sale prices of homes that are similar to yours. Even if you are not planning on listing right away, a good agent can keep you updated on a monthly basis.
- Based on the real estate sales data, determine a price you are planning to ask the agent to list the home at.
- Ask the agent the length of time homes in your price range stay on the market. Your home may sell right away. It may take months. But you will have an educated guess on when you will need to move.
- Ask the real estate agent for suggestions about decluttering and staging your home for sale. Those suggestions may help you sell your home for a higher price—or sell more quickly.
- Have an “agreed-upon price adjustment plan”. If the home is not selling in the timeframe you would like it to sell, or the feedback from the showings is not favorable, talk about adjusting the price of the home within a certain time period.
- Be prepared to move. Mortgage approvals and closings can be accomplished within three weeks (depending on the buyer). So, think about what you would need to do if you had to move out quickly.
If you are looking for a great real estate agent, I would be honored to connect you with one for an initial consultation to see if you would be a good fit for each other.